Saturday, June 22, 2024
HomeFOOTBALLTown hit the top of the table as Da Silva scores two...

Town hit the top of the table as Da Silva scores two more for the season

Kyle Da Silva continued his great start to the season by scoring a brace on Saturday versus Faversham Town to secure another three points for Sevenoaks Town and earn him his second Sevenoaks Sports Man of the Match award for 2019/20.

The win over Faversham at Greatness Park also pushed Sevenoaks to the top of the Isthmian League South East Division after VCD Athletic held Hastings United to a 0-0 draw.

Kyle Da Silva puts away a penalty and his second for the match. Da Silva has now scored four goals this season.

Their league position is the highest ever held by the historic club in its 136 years, and it isn’t without its merits either. Town manager, Micky Collins, has got his team working like a very well-oiled machine, and as players suffer injuries or tiredness, other squad members are filling the voids with skill and panache.

The result completed a great week for the club, as they had beaten Burgess Hill Town away the previous Saturday 3-2 before travelling to Hythe Town in midweek where Frankie Sawyer scored the only goal of the game.

Sevenoaks will travel to Phoenix Sports in Crayford on Saturday afternoon where they hope to continue their pulsating start to the season. Phoenix have had a mixed start themselves, winning three and losing four matches so far. But with Hastings and second placed Ashford United coming up in October, points on the board against Phoenix will satisfy everyone as the club complete their first quarter of the season.

U16’s open new season with victory at home
The new season has been a long time coming for the under-16’s but it finally began for them on Sunday at Greatness Park with a victory against a hard working Elite Developments team

As would be expected on the first outing, the game stated at a rush for both sides, Sevenoaks had the first chance via a corner but it was fairly even, Elite were moving the ball around confidently. Alex Pincott was heavily involved in the home sides early attacks and a driving run into the box created a chance but his shot was gathered by the goalkeeper. Elite had their first chance on 10 minutes but George Porter got a knee to parry the shot away.

Sevenoaks almost got the opener when the goalkeeper misjudged the bounce on a long free kick, the ball bounced back from the crossbar but Kai Okulaja couldn’t just reach the rebound. However, a few minutes later they did take the lead. Josh Penfold pouncing on another defensive error by gambling on the bounce and was able to slip the ball into an empty net.

Josh & Kai combined well and almost made it 2-0 and it appeared that Sevenoaks were firmly in charge but they lost a bit of focus and allowed Elite back into the game. Porter had a tip a long range shot around the post to keep Sevenoaks in front. The home side were passing the ball around but too often an over ambitious ball handed possession and the initiative back to the away team and they counter attacked with great speed. However, they lacked that finishing touch and the half finished with the blues with their noses just in front.

They would have to tighten things up in the second half if that was going to be maintained as Elite had gained confidence from their play in the previous 10 minutes.

They started the second half on the offensive and put Sevenoaks under pressure straight away but it was the home side who added to the scoreline with their first attack. Okulaja collected a loose ball in the box and shot smartly across the goalkeeper to double their league and settle some nerves.

Elite pushed forward, trying to get back into the game but were limited to taking shots from distance, which were dealt with comfortably. But it was Sevenoaks who were counter-attacking with relish now. Chances were coming their way so it was not surprise that a third was added 12 minutes into the half. It was Route One but well taken. Porter cleared high and long, Penfold collected it and flicked it quickly to Will Patrick, who returned the favour for Josh to get his second goal on his comeback following a serious injury last season

Within three minutes, Sevenoaks were another to the good. Okulaja crossed from the right and Pincott was unmarked to nod the ball into the net to make it 4-0.

Sevenoaks were comfortable now but Elite showed a lot of determination to stay in the game and they got one back with a penalty which was thumped into the back of the net. Further chances were created, Patrick nearly added to his tally after collecting a pass from Eddie Lane. He twisted his way into the box but his shot slipped just wide. The visitors were let down by the final ball or touch, better finishing would have made for a closer game but as it was, Sevenoaks should be pleased by starting off with a pleasing opening win.





Most Popular