Tuesday, July 16, 2024
HomeRUGBYSwanley finish pre-season in style with win over Met Police

Swanley finish pre-season in style with win over Met Police

Swanley Rugby Club had their second and final friendly away at the well-appointed Metropolitan Police ground “The Warren”.

Met Police started off strong, applying pressure through their pack, delivering a quick ball out to their 12 who was abruptly stopped in his tracks by Fred Roberts. The pressure through the Met backs continued and saw Met Police draw first blood. The following conversion added the extras.

The Swans turned up the intensity causing the Met to be on the back foot, however too many handling errors saw the Swans lose several opportunities to draw even…eventually though Hayden Cooke adopted the “point” position, cutting a diagonal line to bring the score level.

The Met retaliated with relentless pods off the back of the ruck utilising their back row and then eventually getting the ball out to the backs to score their 2nd try.

In response, Paul Hately sent the ball deep, Swans’ charging forward pack applied enough pressure to cause a knock on; the ball then found its way to Roberts for him to tip toe over the line.

George Oliver gained profitable yards deep into the Met’s 22 to help balance the books. The Swans had the advantage of the line out and Guy Cooke was fired enough to see him bully his way over the line. The Swans took the lead for the first time in the game.

The Met used their downhill advantage and the Swans found themselves on their own five metre line. After a mix-up in communication between the coach and the forwards, the Met caught the ball and scored.

The Met kicked off, but Coach Morris found the ball, spectacularly offloading to Hayden Cooke who then cut a spellbinding line; eventually the ever reliable Phil Butler dusted the Met backs for Swanley’s third try.

Conor Gladdish then picked off the back of the ruck, and embarked on a 40 metre solo effort, scoring in spectacular fashion. Stuart Tate was back on kicking duties and finally slotted one over.

Debutant Dan Eade started on the wing and then had a firm shift at 12 cutting his opposite number in half. Bradley Robinson also saw in his first game for the Swans with style, playing in the forwards and earning his shirt by dumping the big ball carrier for the Met.

As the minutes closed in, George Oliver added one final try to the score sheet which left things at the final whistle as Swanley 31 Metropolitan Police 24.

Swanley start their league campaign this Saturday facing club rivals Westcombe Park 3rd XV with their first home game of the season.



Most Popular