Friday, July 12, 2024
HomeCRICKETSilverware still up for grabs for Sevenoaks Vine

Silverware still up for grabs for Sevenoaks Vine

Away at Canterbury, the 1st XI fell ten runs short in a run fest at Polo Farm.

Canterbury won the toss and elected to bat first, getting off to a good start before Tom Parsons removed Stuart Drakeley for 18 with the score on 46, before debutant Matt Dalton would bowl Justin MacVicar for 38. The third wicket partnership of Ben Rutherford and Bradley Goldsack laid a strong foundation for Canterbury to attack in the later part of the innings, as Rutherford hit 42 before being caught off the bowling of Tom Coldman, before Goldsack passed 50 and was eventually removed for 61 by Parsons (2-43). With the score now 182-4, Canterbury went on the offensive and dismantled the Vine bowling attack to all parts of the ground. Isaac Dilkes (71 from 49 balls) and Jarryd Taig (43 from 25 balls) delivered a destructive batting performance that charged Canterbury to a dominant total of 281-4 from their 50 overs.

On a good batting track with a short boundary on one side of the ground, the Vine were quietly confident of a successful chase and got off to a strong start led by Chris Vernon and Evert Bekker. The pair reached 83 before Bekker was caught for 40, soon followed by Adam Rouse who was bowled for 4. Ben Price joined Vernon and continued the strong start before being stumped for 29, before Vernon and Vikas Kokkiligada got the Vine up to 200 before Vernon fell nine short of his 100, soon followed by Kokkiligada for 17. Miles Richardson was then caught for 5, and the pressure of the run rate caught up with the Vine. Some handy contributions from Karl Pearson (16), Tom Coldman (26), Matt Dalton (11*) and Tom Parson (11*) kept the game interesting, but it would be too little too late as the Vine lost by ten runs.

A win against HSBC next weekend will guarantee the Vine third place, in a season that promised a great deal.

Kent Cricket League Premier 2nd Division: Sevenoaks Vine 2nd (228-1) beat Tenterden 2nd (224-6)
The 2nd XI welcomed Tenterden to the Vine last Saturday, and were made to field first on a flat looking wicket.

The Vine got off to an excellent start as Piers Robinson (2-35) bowled Isaac Carney first ball of the innings, and removed Paddy Collins for 14 soon after. 1st XI regular Felix Dewe came to the crease and looked in fine touch as he and Guy Day rebuilt before Harry Bevan-Thomas bowled Day for 11 with the score 90-3 after 26 overs. Dewe and Luke Mangold took the score near to 180, as Dewe proceeded to hit the ball to all parts as he brought up his century. Dewe would be removed for 100 by John Bowden (2-45), as would Mangold for 41. Chad Quinney then removed Sam Jones for 4 a few overs later, before a brief Tim Russell flourish would lead Tenterden to a respectable score of 225-6 at the break.

Michael Thompson and Harry Bevan-Thomas opened the batting for the Vine and got off to a strong start with the score 49-0 after 10 overs. The two continued their strong partnership as Bevan-Thomas in particular played some domineering shots all-round the ground, with Thompson happy to play the anchor. By drinks, the score became 129-0 with both batsman well set and pass their fifties. The Vine onslaught would continue as Bevan-Thomas and Thompson took fancy to the inconsistent Tenterden bowling. Bevan-Thomas raced to his century and would fall for 110, with the score on 195 in the 33rd over. Thompson meanwhile continued his fine innings and finished the game 100 not out, with Cyrus White’s handy assistance finishing 14 not out. The Vine completed the run chase in the 37th over.

Looking forward to next week, the 2nd XI still remain in the title race; the Vine must beat Bromley Common next weekend, and hope both Sandwich Town and Bexley lose if they are lift to the 2nd XI Premier League once more.

Kent Regional Cricket League Division 2A Central: The Mote 3rd (156-9) beat Sevenoaks Vine 3rd (155 all out)
The Vine 3rd XI suffered a disappointing setback in their quest for the league title. Having won the toss and elected to bat the batting line up failed to fire for the first time this season. Ben Anderson got off to a quick start scoring 24 before falling LBW and this led to a procession of wickets with Andy Akerman, Adrian Spurling, Steve Bezuidenhout, Matt Wilson and Will Peters all missing out. From 77-6 it was a long way back. Skipper Hugo Tudor dug in and well supported by Leo Bezuidenhout led a rally to 145 before Leo was caught at cover for 19. Tudor was last man out for 35 and the Vine at least had a target to defend of 155.

The Mote had 47 overs to get the runs but went off at a blistering pace with the opening pair putting on 60 in 7 overs. Johnny Coleman bowled a great spell and once he broke the opening partnership wickets fell steadily and the Vine were back in the game. Coleman ended up with 4-49 and with a run out and 2 wickets each for Harry Robinson and Hugo Tudor the Mote were 9 down still needing 20. Will Ansell was very unlucky not to have the Mote’s Thomas given out caught behind but Thomas and number 11 Usher added the required 20 runs and the Vine lost by 1 wicket.

Next week, the 3rd Xi go up against Snodland knowing a win will secure the title.

Friendly: Sevenoaks Vine 4th XI v OD Cuaco
The 4th XI successfully chased 167 at Orchard Field on Sunday. After an excellent performance from a team filled with both young and experience (three Iqbal’s, two Cooper-Fogarty’s, and two House’s), a Zak Iqbal 50 led the way for the 4th XI to conclude their first season since 2007, having played five and won five.

Friendly: Development Team v Gravesend
In one of two Development Team fixtures on Sunday, the Vine welcomed Gravesend to a sunny Sevenoaks and elected to bat after winning the toss.

Usual openers Guy Bevan-Thomas (23) and Charlie Williams (64) got off to a patient start, before breaking the shackles of some tight bowling. Bevan-Thomas played onto his own stumps, which brought Cyrus White to the crease who continued his fine run of form. Williams brought up his 50, before hauling out to cow corner. The fall of his wicket brought about a collapse as the middle order failed to capitalise on the top order’s dominant position. Meanwhile White punished wayward bowling before top edging a sweep shot for 72. Joe Banks then came to the crease to lead a late charge past 200 as the Vine finished 210-8 from their 40 overs.

The Vine defence started well with Henry Smith and left arm seamer for the day Joe Banks (0-15) as the pair restricted Gravesend to two an over for the first ten overs. The Vine wouldn’t take their first wicket until just before drinks, Freddie Smith running out the Gravesend youngster. Another fell after drinks as Michael Procter (2-31), and soon many fell in quick succession as Piers Robinson finally caught one off Fred Smith before Procter had a second. 

The part time leg spin of captain Harry Robinson proved profitable as he bamboozled the batsman with varying lines and lengths, as he finished with figures of 3-17, including a hat trick ball that put short leg and leg slip in great danger. Andrew Reid-Dick took a double wicket maiden to take his 50th wicket of the season. Cyrus White came on for his customary over for the season, and mopped up the tail trapping the batsman LBW second ball, thus completing a 95 run victory over their visitors.

Friendly: Development Team v Bidborough
For the second time this season, the Vine were able to field two teams on Sunday, as the Development Team squared off against Bidborough for the second time this season.

Captain Steve Bezuidenhout won the toss and elected to bat first at Orchard Field, and the Vine got off to a slowish start losing Ben Harvey for 4 and Zak Iqbal for 0. Milo Denny and Leo Bezuidenhout rebuilt well before Denny was bowled for 36. Zac Schaeffer soon fell for 7 whilst Bezuidenhout looked comfortable and set for a big score on 42. Harry House was also caught for 5, and Leo Bezuidenhout was then joined by Will House and the pair put on 80 runs in 10 overs, as House smeared the ball round for ground for 54. Meanwhile Bezuidenhout was on 82 and continued his fine innings. Bezuidenhout would eventually bring up his 100 in the last over, before being caught for 102, a fine maiden century. The Development Team finished on a respectable 248-8 from their 40 overs, with handy contributions from youth and experience.

Bidborough’s pursuit started well with Dan Page hitting 14 in the second over, before being run out by keeper Milo Denny in the third over. After a brief period of destruction, Will Ansell bowled a tight spell of 7 overs for 14 runs, including three maidens and the wicket of the Bidborough number three. The leg spin of Ben Harvey was then introduced, who held up one end in a long spell, whilst Will House (3-37) steamed through the middle order, as well as taking the vital wicket of Dale Hillhouse for 76. Rather amusingly, Will House had one wicket caught by his son Harry, and then repaid the duty as he caught Miga Steyn for 19 off Harry House’s bowling (1-21). Leo Bezuidenhout then returned to take the final three wickets (including one wicket caught by his Dad Steve) to conclude a fantastic day for the youngster. The Vine ultimately ran out winners by 42 runs in an excellent contest.



Most Popular