Thursday, June 20, 2024
HomeHOCKEYPurple Army takes all three points in Bristol

Purple Army takes all three points in Bristol

Last weekend Sevenoaks made a long journey down to Bristol hoping to continue their winning away form. An 11.00am meet time saw an early start for the visitors but nevertheless Oaks began the game with much ferocity.

Early into the game player-coach Ian Haley earned a green card following an off balance tackle on an attacking Bristol player but Sevenoaks held off the home side with 10 men and soon earned a short corner. A powerful flick from Alex Salmon was beaten away and cleared by the defence and an unsuccessful late attempt on goal by Paul McLeod finished a dominant first quarter.

The second quarter followed suit as Sevenoaks had the majority of possession and launched many attacks on the Bristol back line, despite few entries into the penalty circle. Bristol’s counter attacking hockey was shut down by a strong defensive partnership of Kieran Walton and Nathan Palmer.

Nearing the end of the second quarter a ball passed through to Ben Selby saw him entering the circle alongside fellow 17 year old Meno Mangat. The shot from Selby bounced across the face of goal and was redirected goalward by Mangat, sending the ball and Sevenoaks ahead. 1-0.

As the half time took place the sun grew in intensity despite the chill in the air. Haley’s half time talk was shortly ensued by a daunting one man aerial over Bristol’s centre forward to captain Chris Barker. This began a short spell of pressure for the Sevenoaks defence but any chances at goal were beaten away by keeper Richard Potton, displaying spectacular dives to keep Oaks ahead.

The final quarter grew in intensity as both team battled for a win. A short corner won by the dribbling of Ryan Mann saw many goal attempts kept out – a shot from Salmon inches past the left post. The tension grew as more cards were shown.

A Bristol forward dangerously close to Walton allowed for a breath of relaxation as he took a ball to the head, momentarily pausing the game. Despite the pressure, Sevenoaks managed to hold on to their three points, carrying on their winning form.

Sevenoaks travel to Canterbury this weekend.



Most Popular